Final Cut Pro X

Thursday, July 1, 2010

VENEZIA!

What an incredible day we have had! I am pretty sure I am speaking for everyone when I say today was magical! We were on the bus by 7:45 for an 8:15 boat ride across the Laguna to Venice. We approached the Piazza San Marco, disembarked and had a one and a half hour walking tour of Venice.
We walked across little bridges and canals, around various campos (squares) and marveled at the architecture, while listening to Carlo speak to us. We had whispers around our necks, little headsets that hooked us up to the guide up front, so he didn't have to shout. We will be using those all week. Most of us went on a Gondola ride after lunch, which lasted about half an hour and actually went out onto the Grand Canal for a little bit, enabling passengers to see the Rialto Bridge.

We had some free time which most people used for souvenir shopping or visiting St. Marks Cathedral. Then at 4 we met back up with our guide Carolina and she took us to the Doges Palace, which was fascinating. We saw the incredible meeting room where up to 2000 people once met to discuss Venetian affairs. We also saw the prison and the Bridge of Sighs, the last little bit of fresh air prisoners would breathe as they headed to the prison.

Finally, a lovely boat ride back to the Lido, the resort area we are at, in the blazing hot sun. Kim and Tracy and Tori and I went into the sea for a little bit....it was a bit cold so we only went in up to our bums, but now we can say we have been in the Adriatic!

Dinner was delicious again, and now the kids have some free time before their curfew. Tomorrow morning we are driving on a 4 hour drive to Florence, so I know I will be updating my travel journal then!

I have to add photos from my iPhone, which I am having a hard time charging. (Long story....) I will do that later. I love how well things are going, everyone is so excited and grateful to be hear. I have already heard quite a few people asking about the Greece trip next year. You may have unleashed some travel-loving addicts!

Ciao from Bell' Italia!

Sara

1 comment: