Final Cut Pro X

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Christo and Jeanne Claude


I first saw Christo in Paris when he and Jeanne Claude covered the Pont Neuf in Paris. (History lesson: Pont Neuf means "New Bridge" in French. It is actually the oldest bridge in Paris, dating to the sixteenth century. Henry IV inaugurated the bridge in 1607. It was the first bridge not to have buildings on it, as was the custom, to allow a unobstructed view of the Louvre!)

In 1984 I was a student in Paris when the Pont Neuf was transformed. I was mesmerized with how the interactions of people and the bridge changed- instead of just driving across, or walking across, people were noticing the surface on which they walked, really paying attention. I walked across the bridge, and watched the divers attaching the long cords to tie the canvas material to the bridge. I walked to the press office and 'obtained' a press pass and then as I walked out I ran straight into Christo's chest! I got his autograph, and was so happy. Unfortunately, I lost it some time later in one of my many moves. So I was determined to see him again when I found out he was coming to Asheville, NC!

I brought my poster of the Pont Neuf and they both signed it for me! Below is a picture of them signing my poster. Look on their website for information about their proposed project in Colorado.









Christo and Jeanne Claude in February 2009 talking about some of the requirements they looked for when selecting a locale for their upcoming project "The River."




Jeanne Claude responds to an audience question that asked which was their favorite project!

No comments:

Post a Comment