Final Cut Pro X

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Siena


This is the famous Campo, or square, of the medieval town of Siena. We had an amazing day today in this town, and ended up back in Florence in time for some people to watch Germany trounce Argentina and others of us to run to the Uffizi to see Botticellis Birth of Venus!

Let me tell you a bit about Siena. There has been a horse race run in this square for hundreds of years-almost a thousand! It's called the Palio and is an amazing race. The kids can tell you all about it- or you can google it. We missed it by ONE day!! We got there today and they were cleaning up, and lamenting the loss or celebrating the victory, depending on where they were from. We saw the white horse being paraded around and the procession of people from the winning contrada- or area! We then went to the Cathedral where everyone was literally stunned with amazement at the gorgeous artwork. Poor Brittany has been suffering from a cold and after giving her some Dayquil this morning I was so glad she perked up enough to keep telling me how glad she was she got to experience this!

I am going to ask my husband to call each parent of a student that is with me and ask you a question for me. I am so very proud of these kids, they have all bonded in such a fun way and there is no us/them division between the kids and adults. We all hang out together a lot of the time. I heard Layne say tonight as we were all walking back to the bus after dinner that she just loved everyone in our group! She was VERY excited that Germany won..she is wearing a Germany jersey now!

Tomorrow it is off to Assisi, which is still in Tuscany. We have been enjoying the views from the bus. I have tons of photos of cypress trees!
We will then drive to Rome and perhaps have a Rome by night tour. Then the next day is a jam-packed day in Rome and around the Vatican. Then the next day will be our last in Pompeii. They have already been saying that they don't want to go home and that they want to come back and live here one day, which is GREAT!

I have to go- I could write a lot more but I am in a smoky internet cafe and feeling ill!

Thanks, parents, for entrusting me with your delightful child...I am loving sharing their grand adventure with them!

More tomorrow from Roma, I am PRAYING for WIFI in the new hotel so I can use my ipad finally!

Ciao, Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment